Make the best use of your existing Building:
Decide whether you want an older building or just knock it down, rebuilt and restart. It might seem difficult at start as renovation decisions heavily hand upon determining whether the current building or structure offers sufficient merit or not!
What you should look in your existing building?
When you start a project with great aspirations, there are only a few reasons why you should keep the older building, even if it does not exactly works with your new design concept.
Reasons for keeping the old:
Apart from the heritage or financial requirements, you might be drawn to the idea of using the existing material and everything that has gone into manufacturing and construction. Or it might also be that you like to retain and celebrate the social and cultural history that forms a part of your story. Third and the most obvious reason is that you design challenges and are keen to mix and merge the history with the present.
While the earlier constructions were strong and always held something ready for reuse and that’s why, you have plenty of reasons to examine your building for some more time.
When you plan renovation in Singapore for existing building in , here are some issues to consider:
- Orientation of the building to improve solar access and protection of various elements.
- The quality of construction and building fabric whether it is sound enough to be suitable for future use.
- Social or cultural relevancy of the design and development whether it can be further carried on and extended or not!
The following design approaches can be applied when it comes to renovations:
- Improvement of layout and building envelope to optimize the orientation
- Connect the various building areas and the external environment to allow a better interaction
- Improve the wall insulations, roof ceiling, floors and thermal inclusion
- Upgrade the windows and doors; also work on the sealing of leaking points and reduce the unwanted heat gain or loss factors
- Upgrade the lights, appliances and paints to get better look at least prices
Process and principles of renovation
A renovation process is complex than a new building if we take into consideration various factors like costs, structure, principals etc. It is more like an imaginative concept to make the most and the best out of the current home and redefine what it can offer you. More precisely, we can term it as a puzzle where different pieces connect together like layout, cost, energy, material, connection etc in compliance. Unless each of the pieces is fitted perfectly, it is unlikely to bring out some answer. Designing a sustainable renovation is an art which requires thinking uniquely for each project.
How you can solve this puzzle and how you can get over the constraints of renovations? Follow these two principals:
- Follow cost effective design performance process
- Be informed about the principals of environmental designing.